In addition to our work in Tallahassee, we work with our local partners, providing resources and helping to build coalitions that have passed pro-equality laws across the state. We defend against bad bills and introduce pro-LGBT legislation every single year. Our efforts continue to expand support for our issues across party lines.
For 8 years, we led a broad-based coalition that secured the 2008 passage of the Jeffrey Johnston Stand Up for All Students Act, an anti-bullying law that has resulted in protections from anti-LGBT bullying and harassment for students all across the state.
Equality Florida played a critical role in bringing an end to Florida’s 33-year-old anti-gay adoption ban. In addition to years of public education on the harm caused by the ban, we successfully lobbied the Governor and the Department of Children and Families to immediately end enforcement of the ban and not pursue an appeal to the Supreme Court once the ban was ruled unconstitutional on September 22, 2010.
Under our watch, Florida has led the southeastern United States in passing over 89 local policies outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, banning harassment of LGBT students, and providing domestic partnership benefits to our families. We also lead the region in electing LGBT candidates, with 31 openly LGBT officials holding elected office in Florida as of June, 2013.
Through our continuous public education campaigns, we are winning the battle of public opinion with a strong majority of Floridians now supporting nearly every one of our pro-equality issues.
We invite you to take a look at the following pages of Winning Equality and see how prominently Florida stands on the national stage of LGBT equality. Your support makes every one of these victories possible.
2013: (As of June 2013)
- Equality Florida worked with local coalition partners to pass domestic partnership registries in the city of Tavares, Leon County and Pinellas County.
- Garnered bipartisan support for the Florida Competitive Workforce Act.
- Passed the statewide domestic partnership bill, Families First, out of the Florida Senate Committee on Children, Families and Elder Affairs with a bipartisan vote.
- Worked with Hillsborough County Commissioners to repeal the 8 year ban on gay pride.
- Participated in a coalition to pass a tax equity policy for City of Miami Beach employees.
- Blocked a bill that would have invalidated local pro-lgbt policies, continuing our 16 year streak blocking bad bills.