Community Organizer - Miami
Community Organizer - Miami
Deputy Director of Field
Miami (work from home) in person work and events around Miami are required and must have reliable transportation
Our organization is seeking a passionate and motivated community organizer to build and lead Miami in a grassroots movement in the fight against attacks on the LGBTQ community and the freedom of all Floridians. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator who is outraged by these attacks and has experience in community organizing, coalition building, and campaign management. A candidate who is already engaged with progressive communities in Miami would be ideal. This is a full-time position that requires a strong commitment to social justice and the ability to work flexible hours.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community leaders, activists, and volunteers to foster a supportive and collaborative network.
- Build and lead a diverse, intersectional coalition of organizations and individuals to counteract attacks on freedom and LGBTQ rights.
- Host monthly meetings with LGBTQ, advocacy, and allied/civil rights organizations to build coalition ties and to then keep them connected and engaged.
- Host semi-monthly meetings with volunteers, students, parents and activists to keep them informed, connected, and engaged.
- Develop and manage a volunteer program in your market area that trains and supports volunteers in effective and distributive community organizing techniques and leads volunteers onto a path of growing leadership.
- Mobilize volunteers consisting of coalitions partners, students, parents, and community leaders into monthly actions, such as through Miami School Board meetings and other direct actions, to defend LGBTQ rights in the local community
- Represent the organization in local public events, meetings, and other engagements with stakeholders.
- Lead Pride Events in Miami with volunteers and engaged community partners to staff a booth and parade, collect petitions on current issues, showcase Equality Florida’s mission for visibility, and network with other organizations in the community.
- Be able to rapidly mobilize the local community in response to sudden attacks against the LGBTQ community for local issues, or to support evolving statewide initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent work experience in community organizing, campaign management, or a related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and experience working with marginalized communities, particularly the LGBTQ community.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with community leaders, activists, and volunteers.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Deep passion for LGBTQ rights and a commitment to advancing Equality Florida’s goals and objectives
- Spanish speaking
- Preferably already in Miami and having contacts and connections to the community there.
Our organization is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds and identities. If you are passionate about social justice and have the skills and experience to lead a grassroots movement, we encourage you to apply.
$50,000-55,000 plus generous vacation/holiday time, comprehensive health, dental, disability and life insurance benefits, and a 403b retirement plan provided.
How to Apply:
To apply, please complete this form. Use this title in the Position Applied for field: Community Organizer - Miami. Cover letter and/or resume must include phone, email and current address, please address cover letters to Yordanos Molla.
Please note: Due to the volume of applicants we receive, we are not able to respond directly to every applicant. Should your qualifications match our requirements for the open position we will be in touch with you. If there is not a match, we will retain your materials for future reference.
Current Open Positions
About Equality Florida
Equality Florida is the largest civil rights organization dedicated to securing full equality for Florida's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Equality Florida is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, transgender, gender non-conforming and LGBTQ people to apply for open positions.
All positions at Equality Florida may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
Equality Florida is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit transgender people, gender non-conforming people, people of color and people living with HIV
Please note that we are not able to respond directly to every applicant. Should your qualifications match our requirements for the open position we will be in touch with you. If there is not a match, we will retain your materials for future reference.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities, please see the "Take Action" page.